What is PHP & Things You Can Do Using PHP?
Hold your breath and sit tight, folks!
Because what we are now going to discuss in this article, would shake your present ground of knowledge giving rise to a whole new perception about scripting languages, notably, PHP.
Let’s first develop the right idea about scripting languages.
In simple words, a scripting language is a computer language with a list of commands placed in a proper sequence in a file that can perform without any further compilation. There are so many languages out there globally, and by languages, I mean the scripting languages.
And thus, we will now make PHP the core of our article and talk about it.
What is PHP?
PHP is the abbreviation for Hypertext Pre-Processor that formerly meant Personal Home Pages.
As mentioned earlier as well, it is a server-side scripting language that helps with the development of Web applications and Static or Dynamic Websites.
Also, to interpret PHP scripts, it is essential to have a server that already has PHP installed. The computers on clients’ behalf approaching the PHP scripts need only a web browser.
PHP tags are there in the PHP files that end with “.php” extension.
Must be looking a little complicated to understand, no?
Don’t worry; you’ll get a better idea of it once you hire PHP developers and see them working on your project using PHP.
What is the use of PHP?
You ask for it, and PHP does it!
PHP can do anything and everything for you.
Don’t believe me?
Well, PHP programmers for hire are available out there, try one, and you’ll get to know.
But, before that, let me explain what all PHP can do and what its uses are.
Being mainly concentrated on server-side scripting, PHP can do everything that other Computer-generated imagery (CGI)programs can do. It comprises collecting form data, sending and receiving cookies, creating content for pages, and so on.
Let’s take a look at the points below to know more about what PHP can achieve.
- Server-side scripting: This is the most talked-about and one of the most significant targets of PHP. It requires three things to work out:
- The PHP parser (CGI or server module),
- A Web Browser
- A web Server
You’ll be able to understand its depth when you hire a PHP developer and see that you are actually required to run the webserver with a connected PHP installation. You can approach the PHP program output with the help of a web browser to view the PHP page through the server. You can carry it all out on your home machine if it’s nothing more than an experiment.
- Command-line scripting: Using PHP itself, you can make a PHP script and run without any help from the server or browser. All you will require is the PHP parser to use it in this manner. Such usage is perfect for scripts that are executed continuously by using Task Scheduler (on Windows) and cron (on *nix or Linux). You can also use them for simple text processing.
- Writing desktop applications: PHP has some incredibly advanced features that can come to use while making the client-side applications better. PHP-GTK can also be used to write such kinds of programs.
Believe me about what I told you regarding its uses because any freelance PHP developers or PHP programmers & coders for hire would say the same.
Bonus tip: You can use PHP on any operating systems involving Linux, Microsoft Windows, macOS, RISC OS, and others. It also supports almost all the web servers, including IIS, Apache, and others. You have the freedom to choose the operating system and web server of your choice with PHP.
What is the need to use PHP?
PHP is a modern, popular, and accessible language that has many uses associated with it.
Some easily countable ones include:
- The ease that PHP comes up with is remarkable. It is more comfortable in comparison to many other languages.
- What makes PHP more desirable is its utter suitability for backend data output and web content
- You don’t have to struggle because PHP offers you a complete toolkit consisting of functions and classes right away.
PHP is an open-source scripting language, and that’s why it uses a wide variety of plugins and third-party services. Some of the world’s best platforms like Facebook, Wikipedia, Yahoo, etc. are the creation of PHP.
Hire PHP developers and seek their help to understand or make an attempt to see it from their point of view, there is no doubt that you wouldn’t find it engaging enough.
PHP has successfully provided startups and businesses a chance to flourish, employing economic, profitable, and flexible website building services. And, I am not the only one saying this, all the freelance PHP developers or PHP programmers for hire are saying the same.
So, if you want your website to be future-friendly and engaging, you have to make use of PHP.
Things you can do with PHP
Process of User Authentication Made Easy
User authentication is essential for web security. Building a web application requires implementing user authentication.
You can adopt multiple techniques for user authentication.
Let’s take a look at them in detail:
- Authentication through username and password: Authentication through username and password is as secure as anything in the world. PHP stores the username and password on a database pair using high-quality encryption and then retrieves the same for the user.
- Authentication through cookie and session handling: You often see cookies on your web pages. They are there to keep a login session open. These cookie-based login sessions can be taken care of easily using PHP sessions. You don’t need to struggle with any kind of detail, just start and close the session and voila!
- Two-(or more)-step authentication: This is one of the most commonly used authentication today. After you log in using your own username and password, the website asks you for another code sent over either phone or mail. Once done with the same, you can access the application. Some services like home banking or more use more than two steps verification.
Project Management Tools
Management of the project is an essential feature of your business.
The availability of resources is vital for your clients to check the growth of the work and offer their more vital feedback.
A system for a good project management system leads to pleased clients.
There are several tremendous web-based project management tools available out there. You can use them. Or even better, you can build your own!
A Relaxed Approach to Databases
PHP includes database support for a long, long time.
But, don’t waste your time thinking since when, instead, move further.
The list of supported database systems supported by PHP involves:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Berkeley DB
- MongoDB (NoSQL database)
And you know what the best part is?
The best part is that using databases with PHP has always been and still is very easy!
Graphical User Interface (GUI)
You can extend your PHP installation to the degree of creating desktop applications.
Though, it could be challenging as it demands some excellent knowledge of PHP.
If You are up for it and love PHP, then you are advised to use some of the PHP extensions mentioned below to start with creating GUI applications:
- PHP GTK – This extension implements the GIMP toolkit and is indeed a popular open-source.
- ZZEE PHP GUI – It is a solution that lets you turn your PHP scripts into Windows applications. However, it is a paid one.
The incredible learning that comes up with creating your own PHP GUI’s is learning a lot about the language itself!
It’s a lucky one, folks!
Server-Side Backend Code
Web development in today’s time is all about the cooperative and fruitful interaction between frontend and backend technologies.
It doesn’t matter what language or library is behind the creation of a frontend app; there’s always a need to extract some data from a server backend.
Specific languages like Python, Perl, Java, C, or C++ can be used in collaboration with HTTP servers to offer frontend apps with backend data. However, most used out of all is still PHP as it has been made specially to carry out such tasks.
Create Real-Time Applications
Some examples of real-time web applications incorporate bots, social networks, web games, chats, monitoring systems, and more.
Such applications can be built using various technologies.
Socket.IO, which is a web-socket based framework and similar ones, are also extensively used today.
WordPress, its Themes and Plugins
Most web frameworks and content management systems are well-written in PHP.
WordPress, out of all, is among the most successful and popular ones.Wordpress, having used PHP, is a highly convenient blogging platform that can be used to do anything from e-commerce to management of content (CMS, to be precise). Once you enter the WordPress’ Codex built on the pillars of PHP, you have all you need to begin plugin development.
Create Website Templates
You can add pages and elements to your websites easily using PHP. You can create the HTML page and split it into different sections.
You need to make sure to add the .php extension to your pages.
To make your website more appealing, you can add different sections, sidebars, navigation, etc.
If your website is templated, it is easier to add content to it.
You must have understood the potential of PHP by now.
But, let me tell you again, PHP is indeed the king.
There are many more other benefits as well to PHP. Make sure to use PHP and adopt its trends to improve your user’s experience.
You just need the right knowledge of it along with the right team to carry out the project.
And all your ideas and goals can come to life then!