Vacuum Ovens – Which are the available types?
These days, one of the most essential part of any modern lab is the lab oven. There are several types of lab ovens in use and most of them are specifically suited for specific purposes. Often times, a lab will need to keep different types of ovens in order to increase its efficiency and productivity. But lab ovens are quite expensive and hence, it is important for lab owners to do a thorough research before making a purchase. This small article will describe vacuum ovens and why they are so useful for modern applications today.
What are vacuum ovens?
The vacuum ovens are completely different from the normal ovens because they are more effective to remove all types of undesirable contamination and also prevent the surface reactions like oxidation. The vacuum oven will also be quite ideal in reducing heat loss which is caused due to air convection inside regular ovens. As a result of this, these ovens are extremely popular in various types of industries through out the world. The thermal procedure in these ovens will take place inside airtight chambers in which an external pump will apply the vacuum.
This method will create a more controlled atmosphere within the oven. The most useful vacuum ovens are those that are constructed with the double walls that are made from mild steel and the inside walls have been made with stainless steel. The construction materials will enable all the equipment to be delivered for optimum functions. One of the most essential features of this oven is that you would need to ensure that the size of external pumps is suitable so that it can create the vacuum inside the chamber and thus fits the size of the chamber. Also, you should check the type of material which you will process inside the oven.
What are the most common types of vacuum ovens
There are various different uses of the vacuum oven in different types of industries. You will see these ovens used in industries like aerospace, railways and automobiles. These ovens are actually indispensable in several industries that deal with metals, ceramics and plastic. These ovens are easy to customize also and you can tailor them as you need them. You may tailor them to suit your specifications also. In general you will find the following types of ovens for regular use:
- Horizontal vacuum ovens that have hinged doors:
These are ovens that are extremely efficient and are used to braze, sinter, diffuse, bond, aluminize, give heat treatments and on advanced ceramics. These ovens are quite flexible in their applications and are hence, so popular.
- Horizontal vacuum ovens that have cart bottom doors
These ovens will provide you with a lot of safety. These are quite durable and you can use them for processing a lot of heavy and big loads. These ovens are best suited for heat treatment, vacuum brazing, bonding by diffusion and so on. These ovens provide amazing results.
- Vertical vacuum ovens that have bottom and top loads
These type of ovens are most commonly used for Ultra High Vacuum, brazing, advanced ceramic and so on. The prime advantage in using these types of ovens is that they will save a lot of space in the design.
Basic Features of the Vacuum Oven
- The exterior of the vacuum ovens are constructed by using the most durable type of steel. This ensures that the body of the ovens are heavy and hard. This steel body has power coatings which will provide excellent support for the processing of various types of applications in various industries.
- The vacuum ovens have interiors that are also made of stainless steel and are quite easy to clean and maintain. The gasket in the door is made from silicon based material and is useful for ensuring stable vacuum levels. The doors are secured with latches and the rubber door gasket creates a tight seal. The doors also have wide glass views which are protected with safety shields. The interiors have aluminium shelves which are easy to remove.
- These ovens will be able to provide you with the optimum temperature in a more uniform and stable manner. This temperature can be raised as high as 3000 degrees C. These ovens have a primary thermostat to maintain control which works on hydraulic principles. A secondary thermostat serves to perform safety measures and protects from excessive temperature. The radiant walls inside the ovens will ensure that the temperature is uniform inside the chamber and that you have the use of the whole of your work space. Thus, you will have more efficiency in your lab applications.
Vacuum Ovens are essential lab equipment that are used in every industry these days. You wll be able to get good vacuum ovens for your lab from online suppliers at highly discounted prices. Hopefully, the information mentioned in this article will have helped you.